Is there a more heavenly taste combo than bacon, lettuce and tomato? Just the mere mention of “BLT” and the clouds start to part! We paired this mouthwatering, keto version with fluffy cloud bread, also known as oopsie bread. Oops, it’s bread! Gluten-free and grain-free, it’s a heavenly low-carb take on a classic sandwich. Indulge.
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar (optional)
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 5 oz. bacon
- 2 oz. lettuce
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Separate the eggs, with egg whites in one bowl and egg yolks in another. Note, egg whites whip better in a metal or ceramic bowl as opposed to plastic.
- Whip egg whites together with salt (and cream of tartar, if you are using any) until very stiff, preferably using a hand held electric mixer. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
- Add cream cheese, psyllium husk and baking powder and mix well.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture — try to keep the air in the egg whites.
- Place two dollops of the mixture per serving on a paper-lined baking tray. Spread out the circles with a spatula to about ½ inch (1 cm) thick pieces.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 25 minutes, until they turn golden.
Building the BLT
- Fry the bacon in a skillet on medium high heat until crispy.
- Place the cloud bread pieces top-side down.
- Spread mayonnaise on each bread.
- Place lettuce, tomato and fried bacon in layers between the bread halves.